Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

African Masks

I have a special education class where the kids range from 8-11 and have an array of disabilities  which makes for quite a challenge.  This lesson interested all of them and the older kids were able to help the younger. I altered this lesson by making a bunch of different shaped masks  the students could choose from and trace.  Depending on the ability of your class, the kids could draw their own to create more variety of masks. 



 I showed them a PowerPoint Presentation showing them all different styles of African Masks  I pointed out the different shapes, animal qualities, and designs that the masks had.  




  Symmetry was a key component to this lesson.  Each side of their mask was required to be the same- symmetrical. 


I demonstrated to the class how to cut out their eyes.  I bent the paper, cut a slit, and then slid my scissors in to cut out the eye area.  The next step was cutting a little slit into the top and bottom of their masks and then we pulled the flaps together overlapping them and stapled it.  This created a semi-three dimensional mask.



   I encouraged the kids to put on as many details as possible.  They were given a bunch of construction paper, rafia, and  feathers and they began!!  


   

No comments:

Post a Comment