Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Embroidered Birds

To celebrate the start of Spring I had my Second Graders do an art lesson with Birds as the Subject Matter.  But I really surprised them when I said we would be sewing our birds instead of painting or drawing them! 



The first thing we did was go over Needle safety.  We used needles that are a little more blunt and made for  children, but even so it is important to be careful.   


Next I gathered the students around the table for a demonstration.  I went over how to thread the needle and how to form a knot at the end so that the yarn doesnt come through the other side.  Next I showed them a few different kinds of stitches and the different effects each stitch had.  


The students picked out their bird and received a piece of burlap.  The 2nd graders drew their bird onto the burlap with chalk before they began.  


Both the boys and the girls really enjoyed this project and enjoyed the new skill!


No comments:

Post a Comment