Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

Endangered Animals

Every child has some sort of collection growing up and mine was Panda Bears.. I was obsessive about it!  My collection resulted both in me having over a thousand Pandas AND a huge awareness for endangered animals.   So any chance I get to do a project involving Panda Bears or anything involving Endangered Animals, I go for it!  


 My Inspiration for this lesson came from a Kohl's ad.  They were advertising a T-Shirt with a cartoon cat's face made out of a Peace Sign.  What a great idea.. lots of animals have the long snout nose that can go along with the bottom of the peace sign.  As you will see below we exaggerated the animals that were naturally capable of this look- We call it our creative License!
 So My third and fourth grade special Education Class were already studying animals in class so I decided to extend upon their classroom lesson and focus on Endangered Animals!  We talked about how some animals were very close to extinction and a lot of the cause came from Humans! The World Wildlife Fund is a great site to use and you can even adopt an animal in need for your classroom!  I obviously "adopted" a panda as a child and then in my classroom everyone brought in a dollar and we adopted a "class pet"  THis really got the students involved in the project and to feel like they were helping!  



 So once the students all chose their animals, they got to work on making Posters!  We discussed how posters need to have a big image and big letters to get viewer's attention!  The students were not used to writing large and that became a challenge for them!
The animal faces were drawn out and done in chalk pastels and anything they needed to add on was done with cut out construction paper and chalk pastels

The students did a great job making the entire school aware of animals that needed their help!



l/



No comments:

Post a Comment