Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Dinosaurs

 I love collaborating with other teachers and I love Dinosaurs- So when the Librarian came to me and wanted to do a Dinosaur unit together I was very excited and immediately set to work on creating a Lesson that was suitable for the class.  It is an autistic Class with students ranging from 9-12 but most are on a first grade level.  I always have so much fun working with this class and like to include as many textures as possible!  
 THe Librarian gave me a list of each student's assigned dinosaur that they would be researching so I got to work on finding step by step drawings for these.  Conveniently, I had Dinosaur Texture Paper so the students were able to follow their worksheet and step by step draw their specific dinosaurs.  The students then cut out their dinosaurs, with some assistance.



The students were given thin sheet card board and were told to draw a horizon Line.  This is the line that separates the sky from the ground.  The kids ripped blue construction paper into tiny pieces.  THis was painted on with modge podge. I make my own modge podge by putting glue in little containers and mixing with a little water.  

The Students then got to put on the sand! 
 THe students draw a giant rock on brown paper.  They then cut it out, and then crinkled it into a ball.  When uncrinkled, it had a rough rock-like texture.

The grass is made out of tissue paper and glued on the bottom of the picture

The students then glued their cardboard onto a larger white paper so that the students could create a border.  They used the extra dinosaur textured paper to tear into tiny pieces to create an interesting border.






















Look at the nice research papers the students created to go along with their drawings! This really gives the students a better understanding of any subject because they are getting information on the topic from different angles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment