Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My Many Colored Days

Here's another Dr. Seuss inspired lesson.  I try to take a theme and then get all of my grade levels to do a different project within that theme.  This sometimes poses a challenge but it's always worth it in the end!  I am currently at a school that is Pre-k through 3rd grade so it limits the amount of different lessons that I need to create.  With the combination of snow days, holidays, and various assemblys my kindergarten classes were left with one class period to make a picture for Read Across America.  We read My Many Colored Days  by Dr. Seuss which is a very short book which talks about how colors can represent feelings. 




                                         
                      
 I made a chart with all the different colors written and the class and I brainstormed how each color made us feel.. mad, sad, happy, excited etc.  When the students went back to their seats they got a slip of paper that said..  "The Color ________ makes me feel _________."  The students had to fill in the blank.  As the students were doing this (with spelling assistance from their classroom aid) I passed around tracers of simple figures like the ones used in the book, a magzine page and a white piece of paper to each student.  I chose to use pages from magazines to give their people a little more interest and texture.  Although, if the student was a little over zealous with the paint you would never know they used magazines.  





 After this, They had to trace the person onto the white paper. I had to stress to the students that they had to put the magazine paper underneath the white paper and cut out their object through both pieces of paper.  In the end the students should have had a form of a person in white paper and magazine paper.  The students used little dot of glue to adhere the people to their black paper.  While they did this, I prepared the paint and gave each student the color that they chose to write about.  We used sponge brushes to paint our people.  The kids had a lot of fun doing this!  The students signed their name with construction paper crayons and their project was complete!  For  a simple project, I think they came out cute! 



No comments:

Post a Comment