Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

This Cat Needs a New Hat!!

For Read Across America, I created a contest for my  Second Graders!  Their goal was to make Dr. Seuss's Cat in the Hat a New Hat!! They had to use their imagination to create a unique new hat to replace the classic red & white striped hat that Dr. Seuss has made famous!  I talked to the students about how professional or famous artisits usually make several sketches before starting their artwork sometimes with very small modifications.  They also plan out their colors before starting.  So The students were to complete several sketches of different designs for their hat & then the students were supposed to star * their favorite design and that was the design they were going to do for the contest.  The kids came up with some great ideas!!! Once their hats were drawn on big paper I introduced the class to all the different supplies I had to offer I then went around to each table and took their "orders" like a waitress at a restaurant would.  The students enjoyed this!  I delivered the supplies to each table and they began!!  Here are the student's Creative Hats!!   




Which hat would you have chosen to win??















 It was a school wide effort to choose the winner.  All of the classroom were given ballots, The Hats were all numbered in the hallway, and I taped an envelope to the wall for the ballots to be placed in.  This created a learning experience for the whole school!









#10 is our lucky winner!  Congratulations!!


The winner was announced at the morning assembly and presented with a first place hat and a bag of Dr. Seuss themed goodies!!
Here is a picture of the Winner,  her mother and I !!  




No comments:

Post a Comment