Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

There's A Wocket in My Pocket

I LOVE Dr. Seuss!  So Read Across America Month is the perfect excuse to do a ton of Dr. Seuss inspired art lessons!  This year I read There's a Wocket in My Pocket to my Special Education 3/4th grade class.  We had a few laughs as we read the book and then while we were still on the carpet, I split the students into pairs and gave them some magazines.  I explained that they each needed to find a magazine picture of an object... such as a pocket, glass, couch, house etc. and rip it out, NICELY.  We would be creating our own creatures to live in those objects!  

The students were sent back to their seats to write their rhyming sentences.  There was only one rule-  The rhyming word had to be silly!!  "There's a mouse in my house"  just would not do!  "There's a Touse dancing on top of my house" was perfectly acceptable though!



Students were encouraged to be as creative as possible!  The students were to sketch their new imaginary creatures.  When sketches were approved, the students painted them with watercolor and then outlined with black permanent marker.  The objects were glued onto their magazine backgrounds.






Lastly, The students used tempera paint to cover up any words or distractions that were in their magazine advertisements and add any details in their backgrounds that they wanted.  I love the way these came out and they make me laugh every time I look at them!!  



   

No comments:

Post a Comment