Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Yertle The Turtle

Once a week I have an Autistic Pre-K class.  There are only 6 students and two aids but by the end of 40 minutes I am exhausted!! They are super cute, little, love art and are FULL of energy!! I run this class very different than any of my other classes.  Each table is a station and we either work on the start of several projects in one class or we take each paper from station to station to add new materials.   Doing one thing for too long results in wanderers! In this particular lesson we took our paper from station to station.  
 



 I read Dr. Seuss's Yertle The Turle to the group and then I handed them big white cut outs of turles, each a little different.  The objective was to make their shells blue! 


This particular class loves to feel different materials so art is perfect for them because it is all hands on!   I try to expose the students to as many different materials as possible.  As one station we had blue watercolor paint, at another we had construction paper cut out into shapes, the third station had yarn, and the last had blue crayons and markers.  This helped the students practice their motor skills.. things that we take for granted such as squeezing a glue bottle, getting a cap off a marker, are all challenges for my students.  The last step for the students was making a face.  Look at the great job they did!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment